Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Night Stalker lives on

I saw a book on the discount table at the local bookstore the other day that caught my eye. It was about history's worst serial killers and gave a short summary or each killer and the crimes they committed. As many evil faces as I saw in that book there was only one that really stood out to me and that was Richard Ramirez.

Ramirez , a.k.a. The Night Stalker, killed at least 24 people before he was arrested and never showed any remorse for the lives he took. He may not have been the most prolific serial killer in American history but that's not why he stuck out to me when I saw him.

No what really brought my attention to him was the last line in the book's bio about Ramirez. That line mentioned that Richard Ramirez was awaiting execution on death row at California's San Quentin prison.

What pisses me off is that Ramirez has been on death row at San Quentin since he was sentenced to die 20 years ago. What is wrong with our justice system that a convicted serial killer who is sentenced to die by lethal injection gets to chill out on death row for 20 years and counting?

Another person that spent the better part of his adult life at San Quentin before finally being put down was Stanley 'Tookie' Williams who was a co-founder of the Crips gang in California, and who killed at least 4 people back in 1979. Many people objected to Tookie Williams being executed because of all the reform he had experienced while waiting on death row. I am guessing many people objected except for the family members related to those he killed.

I am not arguing for or against the death penalty here. I am arguing for the cause for following through with the death penalty in those states that allow it. If you allow the death penalty and you convict people of murder and sentence them to die get on with it already. I am not necessarily a believer in the death penalty and that is probably because the death penalty is a joke. We are so consumed with the rights of convicted killers that we have lost sight of what the death penalty was supposed to be in the first place. The death penalty was not just supposed to be a punishment to those who killed others, but it was also meant to serve as a deterrent to would be killers if they committed such heinous acts against a law abiding society.

The death penalty in my nation would be run a little differently. Death sentences would be carried out publicly and in the most gruesome manner as possible according to the crimes committed of course. It would be like an eye for an eye to the extreme. These public executions would be open to all and would be broadcast on every form of media available at the time. My goal would be to scare people so fucking badly about the punishment that they would not ever kill someone unless they truly wanted to die a horrible death themselves.

I know there are people who rally against the death penalty and will say that my ideology is ridiculous and outdated, but I truly don't think so. In fact, it's the lack of conviction in killing the convicted that encourages more people to commit horrible crimes against others. It's the liberal agenda and their belief that everyone gets a second chance (except the victims of course) that has several hundred killers sitting at San Quentin as it is.

I have the same argument with guns and gun ownership. We don't need less guns, we need more guns and we need to give them to the right fucking people. Likewise, we don't need less of the death penalty, we need more of it and we need to apply it to the right fucking people.

I guess my nation wouldn't be all that much fun for killers and their lawyers would it?

No comments:

Post a Comment