Friday, September 25, 2009

I wanna' live for never

Tonight we took the kids to see the movie 'Fame' which I assume is a remake of the original movie of the same name from the 1980. I don't remember ever seeing the original because I just wasn't into musicals then and even less into chick flick musicals. I know this may make you wonder if there are musicals that aren't chick flicks and to that I would have to say yes. 'Chicago' and the 'Producers' both are great examples of musicals that I would not consider to be chick-flicky at all. 'Mama Mia' on the other hand.....

As I said, I don't remember seeing the original so I cannot make a comparison to the remake but I am willing to bet that the original was better just the same. It had to have been better because if it were worse than the remake they never would have made the remake in the first place. Or should I say the second place?

See, when movie makers do a remake of a movie I fully expect the remake to be as good or better than the original if for nothing else than for better graphics and digital sound.

Today's 'Fame' was pretty lame. I better be careful or that poet is going to break out all the way and ruin your whole damn day. Oops, there it goes again, I'll try and do better my friend.

I will say this much about the new movie: The performances within the film were excellent and showcased the talents of many of the actors in the film. Having said that, the people who made the movie need to go back to school. In fact, it seems a little odd that the people who made a movie about young actors, dancers, musicians, and film makers could spend a few years in the very school featured in the film.

The problem with Fame is that it has no depth of character. The characters hardly get developed and what little insight we see into them leaves one wanting more. There is one character in particular that I kept waiting for to have this big emotional breakthrough and it just never happens. Not only does it not happen, but the director doesn't even make you think it happened. Another character reminds me of the typically ugly duckling because you just know that she is full of talent and you're going to see it break out of her before the movie is over. Unfortunately, while she can sing well, it isn't the kind of thing that will knock your socks off. For anyone who is still bound and determined to see this movie after reading this, I am not talking about the black girl who I thought was a wonderfully talented singer.

Well, that's my view and I welcome yours but I don't think I'll be buying this one when it hits the shelves, which I am sure will be in time for the holiday shopping season.

On separate note, I am trying to get back into the habit of writing here on a more regular basis but as I may or may not have said before, I am busy outdoors when the weather is good and I don't get to spend much time on here until the weather turns foul again. Like anyone gives a fuck right? Ha ha. I am so presumptuous sitting here thinking that people are actually reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment